The Supreme Court has granted interim bail to Congress spokesperson Pawan Khera, against whom multiple FIRs were registered for deliberately botching up the name of Prime Minister Narendra Modi in a press conference.

A bench comprising Chief Justice DY Chandrachud, Justice MR Shah and Justice PS Narasimha heard Khera's plea, which he moved immediately after being arrested by the Assam Police.

The Court ordered, "In order to protect the petitioner until he applies for regular bail before the jurisdictional court in relation to all FIRs, we direct till next date of listing the petitioner shall be released on interim bail".

The Court said it is inclined to hear the responses of States of Uttar Pradesh and Assam on clubbing of the FIRs. "We issue notice on the prayer to transfer and club all FIRs registered against Khera," said the Court.

On behalf of Khera, the Court was told that he is not seeking quashing of the FIRs at the present stage, but only consolidation of the FIRs registered in different parts of the Country.

Today, Khera was arrested by the Assam Police while he was boarding a plane for Chattisgarh's Raipur from the Delhi Airport.

On February 17, during a press conference, Khera botched up PM Narendra Modi's name while demanding a probe by a joint parliamentary committee into the Adani-Hindenburg report.

"If Narasimha Rao could form a JPC, if Atal Bihari Vajpayee could form a JPC, then what problem does Narendra 'Gautam Das'...sorry 'Damodardas' Modi have?" Khera had said.

Senior Advocate Abhishek Manu Singhvi, who appeared for Khera, said that multiple first information reports (FIRs) have been registered against Pawan Khera. He said that Khera did not deliberately flub PM Modi's name, but it was a slip of tongue.

Additional Solicitor General Aishwarya Bhati, who appeared for the State of Assam, submitted before the Court that the statement by Khera was made deliberately.

The video of the present conference was also played before the Court.

Senior Advocate Abhishek Manu Singhvi had mentioned his plea for an urgent hearing before Chief Justice of India DY Chandrachud who was then headding the Constitution Bench. The CJI asked Senior Advocate Singhvi to mention the matter at 3 PM.