Centre Appoints Justice Rajesh Bindal & Justice Aravind Kumar As SC Judges, Collegium Recommends Appointment Of CJs Of 5 HCs
The Centre has notified the appointment of Justice Rajesh Bindal and Justice Aravind Kumar as Supreme Court Judges. Justice Bindal is currently the Chief Justice of Allahabad High Court while Justice Kumar is the Chief Justice of Gujarat High Court. With the new appointments, the total strength of the Supreme Court Judges comes up to 34 which is also the full working strength.
The appointment was notified by the Union Law Minister Kiren Rijiju on Twitter-
As per the provisions under the Constitution of India, Hon’ble President of India has appointed the following Chief Justices of High Courts as Judges of the Supreme Court. My best to them.— Kiren Rijiju (@KirenRijiju) February 10, 2023
1.Rajesh Bindal, Chief Justice, Allahabad HC.
2.Aravind Kumar, Chief Justice, Gujarat HC
The Supreme Court Collegium in a meeting held on January 31 recommended the following Judges as Chief Justices of Manipur High Court, Gujarat High Court, Chhattisgarh High Court, Calcutta High Court, and Allahabad High Court:
1) Justice Dhiraj Singh Thakur, Judge of Bombay High Court [PHC: Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh High Court] as Chief Justice of Manipur High Court.
2) Justice Sonia G Gokani, Judge of Gujarat High Court as the Chief Justice of Gujarat High Court.
3) Justice Ramesh Sinha, Judge of Allahabad High Court as the Chief Justice of Chhattisgarh High Court
4) Justice T S Sivagnanam, Judge of Calcutta High Court [PHC: Madras High Court] as the Chief Justice of Calcutta High Court.
5) Justice Pritinker Diwaker, Judge of Allahabad High Court [PHC: Chhattisgarh High Court] as the Chief Justice of Allahabad High Court.